Friday, February 16, 2007

"Lost" in the ratings?


I seldom make time to watch a particular TV show; there's just not much on these days that grabs my attention. There is one exception - "Lost" on ABC. CNN reports today that viewership has dropped fairly significantly since its return to the airwaves last week. As a fan of the show, I have to say that I think it continues to be incredibly gripping and I still look forward to new episodes.

The move to 10:00 p.m. seems to getting most of the blame for the drop in viewers, but I have to wonder about the wisdom of ABC splitting the season in two. Was it really a good idea to broadcast only six new episodes last fall before going on an extended hiatus that stretched through the fall and into February? I think it was a bad decision by ABC. I'm not wild about the show moving back an hour later (because I don't watch American Idol, from which ABC is trying to protect Lost, I say leave it at 9:00. I watched one episode of American Idol, when the contestant sang Queen songs, and I must say that I just don't get it) but I will watch Lost however late it comes on.

This is an all too frequent occurrence at the major networks. A show becomes a hit and the network screws it up by moving it around on the schedule or holding back new episodes. ABC did the same thing a number of years ago with another show I enjoyed - NYPD Blue.

I do wish the show's producers would speed up the schedule of revealing some of the lingering mysteries of the show. It's really time for us to learn more about the Others and how they came to be on the island. Next week's show is being advertised as giving some answers about the three biggest mysteries of the show. That probably won't include the mystery of why ABC is beginning to sabotage the show.

No comments: