Tuesday, February 05, 2019

February 3, 2019 The Heart and Soul of the Church: What Do We Need to See?



This morning we continue our series of messages from the book of Acts, with this morning’s message coming from chapter 9, which tells of the conversion of Saul.  In what is arguably the most famous conversion in history, Saul was radically changed while on the road to Damascus.  As I speak this morning, I will go back and forth using the names Saul and Paul.  Saul is the pre-conversion name; Paul is the post-conversion name. 
      
Follow along as I read the text for this morning, Acts 9:1-9 – 

1Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest 
and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. 
As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 
He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.
“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. 
“Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. 
Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. 
For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything.

Saul, we might say, had his eyes “opened” while traveling to Damascus. It is a bit ironic to say that Saul had his eyes “opened,” as he was actually blinded by the light that shone upon him.  Symbolically speaking, however, Saul did have his eyes opened, as previously he was unable – or unwilling – to see the truth.  Sometimes we are unable to see the truth, but there are also times when we are unwilling to see the truth.  Sometimes, unfortunately, we can’t – or won’t – see truth and reality when it is right in front of us.  There are all kinds of reasons for this, I suppose, but what matters is a willingness to be open to the moving of God’s Spirit that will open our eyes to what we need to see.
      
This morning, I want to talk about several lessons we can learn from Saul’s conversion, the first of which is this – 
      
1. No matter how strongly you believe you are correct, you might be wrong.  And not only wrong, but very wrong.

We live in a moment in history when everybody seems to be convinced they are 100% right and everyone else is wrong, and being convinced they are right they are then compelled to go on social media and proclaim how right they are and how wrong everyone else is.
      
But how do you know you are right?  How do you know?  Honestly, we don’t really think about whether or not we are right, do we?  We simply assume we are right.  Even though we sometimes say I know I’m not always right, do we know when we are wrong?  If we do, it’s almost always after the fact.  We become aware we saidsomething wrong after we see the hurt our words caused.  We become aware we didsomething wrong after we see the hurt our actions caused.
      
How do we know we are right? We might say the evidence backs me up.  What we see as incontrovertible proof, as iron-clad evidence, however, isn’t always as obvious as we believe it to be.  As an example, check out this optical illusion – 



Is the center line one solid color, or is it different shades of the same color?  Even though it appears to be different shades of the same color, it is all one solid color (if you don’t believe me, print out the picture, cut out the bar, and see for yourself).  If you can’t trust evidence that you can see, what then can you trust to know if you are right?  I’ll trust my heart, we might say.  As great an indicator as our heart might be for some things, I don’t believe we want to use it to prove we are right.  Tanya and I were recently with some people and the subject of my guitars came up in the conversation.  I was asked Dave, how many guitars do you own?  My heart was telling me not to answer, because I wasn’t sure Tanya knew how many I actually own (to explain that statement, I should mention a few things. One, I began playing guitar in 5thgrade, so over the years I have bought, sold, and traded a fair number of guitars.  After that many years it is not hard at all to build up a little collection of instruments. Second, I don’t hunt or fish, so I haven’t spent money on that equipment, and I only golf about once or twice a year. I own an inexpensive set of golf clubs but am not paying weekly – or more regular – green fees or paying for a cart. Or, maybe, I’m simply trying to justify the number of guitars I own).  As I hesitated to answer, Tanya jumped in and said I think he has four or five.  My heart told me not to add anything to her answer, as it would be best not to admit that her estimate was too low, but I did ask well, how many purses and pairs of shoes do you own?(for the record, that is the wrong question to ask).  Suffice it to say, following our heart is not always a good way to know if you are right or wrong.  As followers of Jesus, we would certainly say, I will study the Scriptures for an answer to tell me if I am right or if I am wrong.  That’s a great idea, and I would agree it is a great idea and it is what I encourage people to do and it is what I do myself.  But will that always tell us if we are right?  What if we simply search for a verse in order to affirm what we already believe, even if the verse we search out is not at all saying what we claim it says?  The Bible has been used to support all manner of things that have made life difficult for people and to oppress people.  The Bible, to many people, supported and justified slavery.  The Bible, to many people, justified and continues to justify the refusal of some people and some churches to treat women with equality.  The Bible, to many people, has justified war and military actions that have had grievous consequences for many people.  I believe the Bible to be God’s truth, but the Bible must be interpreted, and that is where we run into some difficulty, isn’t it? Jesus says, for instance, in Matthew 5:29-30 that if your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away…andif your right hand causes you to sin, cut if off and throw it away.  All of us would, I assume, understand that Jesus was using hyperbole in those examples in order to make his point, but there are other times when interpreting Scripture is more difficult.  Jesus said, very famously, do not resist an evil person.  If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other also(Matthew 5:39). Does that mean we are not to defend ourselves, or our family, or our homes, or our neighborhood, or our community, or our nation?  I would imagine we would find some amount of variation among us as to how we interpret and apply that verse, so how do we know who is right and who is wrong?  Jesus went on to say, a few verses later, you have heard that it was said, “Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.”  But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you(Matthew 5:43-44).  What does that mean, to love our enemies?  Does it mean the same kind of love we have for our friends and families?  Does it mean generating an emotional feeling?  Does it mean to work for their benefit rather than working against them?  Or does it mean something else?
      
You might now be thinking, thanks a lot Dave.  I came here this morning hoping for some help and some answers and all you have done is confuse me! I am not trying to confuse anyone or to make thing more difficult than they already are; I am simply asking the question how do we know we are right? I imagine Saul not only believed he was right and believed that he was on God’s side, but might also have believed God was on his side, and there is a very big difference between those two perspectives.  Saul believed he was absolutely correct in going to Damascus to arrest followers of Jesus, but he was wrong.  Verse 1 tells us that he was breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples.  That sounds to me like someone who was very, very sure he was right, even though he was wrong.  Just because we very passionately believe in a cause or just because we hold very tightly to an opinion doesn’t mean we are correct.  Passion and commitment can be wonderful personality traits, but not so much when they are tied to what is not true.  Saul was extremely committed to his cause, and extremely passionate about arresting followers of Jesus.  He was not, however, correct.
      
I understand that I am offering more questions for you to consider than I am giving you answers, but I will say this as a way to sum up this point – one of the many reasons why I believe it is so important to be part of worship, to be part of a Sunday School class, to be part of a youth group, to be part of a Bible study, to read and study the Bible on your own, to read good and helpful materials, and to pray is because those are times and places and opportunities that help us to determine what is right, that help us to determine the manner in which we should interpret the Bible, and to help us answer our questions and to formulate what we believe and how we will live.  It’s also why I am not a fan of the I can worship God just as well on the golf course or on the lake as I can in churchschool of thought.  I am not denying the reality that God can be worshipped in many different places and ways and can be worshipped in those locations.  For me, however, I’ve never experienced worship in those places and I’m not sure how often it really happens.  I believe that when people say they can worship God on the golf course or on the lake they really mean they appreciate the beauty of God in those locations, which is something I have experienced, and I believe those places can absolutely help us to appreciate God’s creation, which is somewhat of an act of worship.  I haven’t, however heard worshipful talk about God on the golf course or on the lake (although God does get mentioned on the golf course, but not in the best of ways).  For me, I need to be in a context where I can be encouraged in my spiritual walk, where I can ask questions, where I can listen to others, where I will be challenged in my views and in my opinion and pushed on whether or not I am right and pushed to defend myself in a way that will make me think hard about whether I am right or wrong, and I find that to most often be in a context that is specifically suited for all those things, and that is generally not on the lake or on the golf course, but in worship and Bible study.

2.  What we do has consequences.

This is especially true for those who are in positions of leadership, power, or influence.  What those people do – and have done – often present very severe consequences for many, especially when they are wrong.  There are scores of people throughout history who have been hurt by those in power, and hurt because those in power were convinced they were correct and acting correctly, but were not.  The inquisitors of the Middle Ages believed they were correct, but they were not, and many suffered.  Stalin believed he was correct, but he was not, and many millions suffered and died.  Many people believed it was correct to sell others into slavery, but they were wrong, and many, many have suffered and continue to suffer because of this horrible tragedy. 
      
This is why the great prophetic tradition of the Old Testament was so important, as they challenged those with leadership and power and influence, telling them that what they did had consequences for people.  It is often believed that the prophets were foretellers of the future, and in some ways they were, but the role of the prophets was mostly to tell the truth, which they certainly did to those who were in power.  A great example of this prophetic function is when the prophet Nathan confronted David. David, who was king, took a liking to Bathsheba and he began an affair with her, which resulted in Bathsheba becoming pregnant.  To cover up the pregnancy, David had Bathsheba’s husband, Uriah, brought home from battle. Uriah, however, would not go home, saying to David, the ark and Israel and Judah are staying in tents, and my commander Joab and my lord’s men are camped in the open country. How could I go to my house to eat and drink and make love to my wife? As surely as you live, I will not do such a thing!(II Samuel 11:11).  David wanted Uriah to go home and be with Bathsheba, as it would provide cover for the fact that Bathsheba was pregnant by another man.  Despite all of David’s efforts, however, Uriah would not go home, so David told Joab to put Uriah out in front where the fighting is fiercest. Then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die(verse 15).  That is a despicable action, made more so by the way in which David used his power not only to get what he wanted, but also to bring about the death of an innocent man.  Nathan, however, confronted David about this tragic episode, telling a parable about a rich man and a poor man.  The rich man had everything he could ever need or want, but the poor man had only “one little ewe lamb he had bought.  He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children.  It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms.  It was like a daughter to him. Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him.” David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the Lord lives, the man who did this must die!  He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity” (II Samuel 12:3-6).  David had stepped into Nathan’s trap, and never saw it coming, failing to see the story was about him and what he had done to Bathsheba and Uriah.  Nathan proclaimed to David You are the man!(verse 7), and in doing so, revealed the terrible consequences of David’s actions.  In the New Testament we see John the Baptist playing the role of prophet, as he challenged Herod and the religious leaders as well.  And, certainly, we see time and again the manner in which Jesus confronted and challenged those in power, because what they did had very serious consequences for people’s lives. 
      
Saul had done a lot of harm, and as Paul, he came to understand what he had done was wrong and also could understand why there would be a great deal of mistrust toward him.  People were, understandably, skeptical about Saul’s conversion.  Verses 13-14 of chapter 9 tell us that Ananias said about Paul that I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your saints in Jerusalem.  And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.  It is certainly understandable that people would have had reservations about Saul and whether or not he had really changed or if it was all a ploy to gain the trust of believers before arresting them.  Acts 7:54-60 tells us of the stoning of Stephen, the first known martyr of the Christian faith. Verse 58 tells us that upon dragging Stephen out of the city they laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.  Paul had to live with the knowledge of his role in that tragic event. I imagine there could have been some difficult conversations.  Ananias, for instance, might have said to Paul, Stephen was my friend, and I understand you were present at his martyrdom, and that you were in favor of what happened.  Paul had to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he had done.  His actions had consequences.

3.  Paul needed the care and support of others in his new journey.

In spite of what Paul had done before his conversion, he was placed in the care of the church.  Paul needed that care and support to help prepare him for his new life and for his ministry.  We all need the care and support of others, which is one of the great attractions of the church.  One of the reasons why we need that care and support is to help us to see what we need to see.
      
Marvin Whiteman is from my hometown.  Marvin is well-known around town and well-loved by everyone.  He is also a tremendous musician, playing piano beautifully in spite of having no ability to read music.  Marvin is not only a great pianist, but a great singer and songwriter as well.  About five or six years ago, while visiting my mom, I had the opportunity to attend worship in my home church.  Marvin was there that day, helping to lead worship and to play several songs.  I was glad to be there that morning, as I had not seen Marvin in a long time.  What is unique about Marvin is that he is blind and has been blind from birth.  Marvin lost his sight when he was a baby and has never had the ability to see.  He has no idea what people look like, what our hometown looks like, or what anything looks like.  Because of his blindness, people have always looked out for Marvin, serving as his eyes in order to help him get around.  What I did not realize for some years, however, is that as much as Marvin needed people to help him “see,” the rest of us needed Marvin to help us “see.” What we do not realize is that the ability to see is, in some instances, a disadvantage.  Along with our sight comes a tendency to make judgments about people based upon how they look, how they dress, and the color of their skin. Marvin, however, is not saddled with this disadvantage, as he “sees” people without all the judgments and stereotypes that come with sight.  
      
Because we can see does not mean we have understanding or perception.  Students, for instance, will sometimes say I don’t seeas a way of saying they do not understand.  Too often, we believe that because we can see, we automatically understand, but we do not.  Sometimes, in fact, we are blinded by our sight, as ironic as that sounds. Saul could not see.  It took divine intervention and temporary blindness for Saul to be able to see, and to be transformed into the greatest missionary, church-planter, and pastor in history.
      
What do we need to see? Well, there is a good chance we cannot understand what we need to see.  We all have our blind spots and an inability to “see.”  For Saul to be able to see, God had to intervene and open his eyes. My prayer is that each of us will be moved by the spirit of God, by the presence of Christ in our lives, and through the power of worship to be able to “see.” 


No comments: